Wednesday, March 08, 2006

what matters

Something I just read wondered how committed people are to their political preferences - would people change cleaners or doctors. hire/not hire someone depending on political preferences. It reminded me that...


About fifteen years ago, back when I was still happily married, my husband and I gave up trying to conceive a second child and began the process of adopting. Eventually, a young woman selected us as potential parents for her baby, and we met with her AND the father (still her high school boyfriend). They were adorable, promising youngsters who, though quite unsophisticated, had ambitions which included college and careers; she, especially, was clearly determined to enjoy the adventure of her life despite their carelessness, once she had made sure that she had found a good home for her unborn child. She questioned us quite alot but it was difficult to get a sense of what answers she was looking for to fulfill her fantasy of the "good parents" in that "good home."

And then she asked us, if we had a son who, in his teens, told us that he thought he was a homosexual, would we be able to accept it? My husband and I looked at each other and, knowing that I would have an answer already forming, my husband nodded his agreement that I should just answer for us both. So, unsure of what these two kids thought about a subject less frequently discussed then than now, but determined to have my say (even at the risk of losing the child), I explained that I would have no difficulty accepting such at all. That there was NO social "stigma" with which I could imagine having an acceptance issue... unless, of course, my child ever announced he was a Republican.

So... if I were willing to abandon my child for being a Republican, you can bet I'd ditch the cleaners!

For the record... the kids laughed and immediately told us they thought we'd make great parents, the kids' parents' coerced them into getting married and keeping the baby, my marriage broke up and, most importantly, my young adult son is a very liberal democrat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home